100 Days of Making Comics Day 48

1/29/2021 - Day 48: An hour and 15min went into sketching Neonie today and working a little on the next few panels for the comic. I'm still rearranging and playing with the layout a bit on different layers. But I had fun experimenting with different character expressions and loosely sketching small changes to various poses.

Progress Screenshot: [Progress woot]

Other Notes:

Today's random interesting animal(s):  

  • One of my top favorite kinds of insect, that also happens to be pretty much harmless to humans, is the mantisfly. Mantisflies make up the insect family Mantispidae, and are a type of lacewing insect, rather than an actual praying mantis. Worldwide, there's something like 400 mantisfly species. 
    • Out of all that are out there, my favorite species is the Brown Wasp Mantidfly (Climaciella brunnea) which is a pretty convincing wasp mimic, even though its head and forelegs are like a little praying mantis, and it can't sting. 
    • Part of why this is my favorite species, is because I watched an individual Climaciella brunnea hunt smaller insects over a grape vine about 4 years ago, and back then I wasn't familiar with Mantisflies. They're so scarcely seen right where I live, that by that point, I hadn't thought to research them. Which is why when I saw one, I thought it was some kind of highly unusual wasp, until further research prompted by curiosity over the unusual sight concluded that Mantisflies were a thing.

Here's a video I found of a Brown Wasp Mantidfly. I say it's cute.

  • TOOLS USED for the art in this post: Autodesk sketchbook on the ipad pro, and a few sketches that were done on actual paper earlier.

    Thanks for reading! :) 

    Links to find me in other parts of the internet:  


Comments

  1. Neonie has some cute expressions,I can see her animated in my mind.
    The mantisfly is interesting,I'll have to look it up now.
    You're almost at the halfway point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, It would be really cool the story animated! I tend to see everything as an animation in my head while working on the story as well, then the storyboarding is like pulling or developing key frames from that animation. And Yay, I'm getting to the halfway point.

      Delete

Post a Comment